Subject: Re: Startup errors
To: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
From: Paul Yaskowski <paul@yaskowski.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/12/2000 23:16:14
% Douglas Meade (inforum@umd5.umd.edu) [02.12.00/22:28]:
: Paul,
:
: These errors are generally nothing to worry about.  There is
: a manual at http://www.whiteice.com/~williamwebb/intro/DOC-i.htm
: for the 3100 m76.  Although not exactly the same box, a lot
: of features are similar.  Chapter 7, "Running Diagnostics",
: says:

  I tried that link, and it seemed to be broken.

: Three dots after a number indicate the test completed successfully.
: An underscore and 2 dots indicate the optional device is not installed or
: the device has not been tested.  A single question mark indicates a minor
: problem that probably won't interfere with system powerup, and a double
: question mark indicates a serious problem.
:
: The main items in the list are
: F     MONO    Base Video
: E     CLK     System Clock
: D     NVR     Nonvolatile RAM
: C     DZ      Serial line controller
: B     MEM     Memory
: A     MM      Memory management unit
: 9     FP      Floating point unit
: 8     IT      Interval timer
: 7     SCSI-A  SCSI-A Bus controller (Usually the internal devices)
: 6     SCSI-B  SCSI-B Bus controller (Usually external)
: 5     SYS     Interrupt controller and Ethernet ID ROM
: 4     8PLN    Optional 8-plance graphics coprocessor
: 3             Reserved
: 2             Reserved
: 1     NI      Ethernet network interface
:
: The only error is 6?, which probably means the SCSI bus has
: no terminator on it.  (These are rare.  Anybody know a good
: source?)

  The thing is, I don't remember ever having this error, and I haven't
changed anything.  I can format the only drive on SCSI-B fine.

: I think on that model you can also do a TEST 50, which gives
: more (but not necesarily informative!) messages.  I think
: the error on C has to do with no device connected, or no
: serial loopback connector.

?? SCSI-B   1000.61D0  V1.58
      FFFFFF05 FFFFFF05 FFFFFF05 FFFFFF05
      000000D4 FFFFFF05 FFFFFF03 FFFFFF05

  It doesn't seem to like ID 4, which is a Seagate 1480 drive.  I've
used it fine before, so that's odd.

: I'd say, go for it.
:
: Doug

Thanks!

Paul

--
For he could neither hear nor see nor smell nor feel, but could only
 hurt.