Subject: Re: VAXStation 3100 bootprobs
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/02/2000 16:12:56
On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Chris Tribo wrote:

>     There is no support for the RX23A floppy boot since it is an MFM disk.

Well, with the NetBSD/vax 1.4.1 release, I did actually have the MFM RX23A
booting into sysinst properly.  We told the bootloader to use the ROM I/O
routines for reading various boot media.

The kernel still didn't support MFM devices, but we figured that being
able to boot sysinst from floppy would be nice.  Even if it was just to
pull the NetBSD install over the network onto a SCSI system drive.  All my
testing was done on a VAXstation 31000/M30.

I've not checked to see if the bootloader changes have been carried along
beyond 1.4.1, but all the relevant patches should still be living the
official NetBSD/vax 1.4.1 release directory.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
I have sixteen boxes of Hamburger Helper in the pantry, but I almost never
have any hamburger.  So why isn't there Hamburger Helper Helper?  -- K.