Subject: Re: compiling a kernel on an MVII
To: Arno Griffioen <arno@usn.nl>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/29/1999 00:16:01
On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Arno Griffioen wrote:

> > On my VS3100 (KA-42A cpu, 24mb RAM), building the NetBSD kernel
> > takes ~5 hours.  "Days" is surely exaggerated for anything but perhaps
>
> About the same on my uVAX 3600 with 32 Mb RAM and a local drive.
> Just built the 1.4P kernel (and currently running) in about that time.

Well, a MicroVAX II runs at around 1/3 the speed of both those systems
which places it at around 15-16hrs for a kernel compile.  I'm not entirely
sure what the average memory usage is for the compilation of the kernel
source files, but once you start hitting swap, the performance degrades
significantly.  So maybe a more reasonable estimate is around 1 day for
nicely equipped VAX, but I could see it taking quite a bit longer for
systems with less than 8 Megs of RAM.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----