Subject: [Fwd: Net-Booting MicroVAX II]
To: NetBSD VAX Port <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris <jcwunder@eikon.tum.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/24/1999 00:17:26
--------------58E60278F7ED9B9BB1DDA820

Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 08:41:47 +0100
From: Chris <jcwunder@eikon.tum.de>
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
Subject: Re: Net-Booting MicroVAX II

Brian D Chase wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Chris wrote:
>
> > I'd like to install NetBSD on my MicroVAX II. But I don't have a disk
> > image nor do I know how to make one.
> > Is there a chance to net-boot the VAX with a mopd Server ?
>
> Yes there is.  We fixed the netbooting problems with DEQNA/DELQA cards a
> while back.  The 1.4.1 release netboots on the MicroVAX II just fine.  The
> Netbooting HOWTO is out of date so you'll likely have to scrounge through
> the port-vax mailing list archives for particulars, or you can ask me
> if and when you run into problems.
>
> > If that's not possible, how can I make a boot disk for my RX50 drive
> > with a normal PC floppy drive ?
>
> I haven't fully booted or installed a system using this method, but check
> out John Wilson's PUTR program.  ftp://ftp.dbit.com/pub/putr/
> It lets you write RX50 images using a 1.2Meg 5.25in floppy drive.
>
> -brian.
> --- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
>       Are you absolutely sure that you want to do this? [ny] n

Hi,
thanks for your reply. It's nice to hear that my VAX is supposed to netboot.
Can you tell me where to find the ethernet address of my DEQNA controller ? I
don't have any operating system on my vax running and I don't have
documentation for the DEQNA controller.
I know there is this special rom on the controller board which provides the
address, sometimes it is printed on it, but unfortunately I couldn't see any
writings on it. Is there a console command which tells me the address ? (
It's a KA630-A v.1.3 MicroVAXII CPU)
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
                          Chris