Subject: Re: booting from CD?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/20/1999 17:59:20
On 19 Dec, John Wilson wrote:

> Someone said something about setting 512 b/s mode when burning for VAXen --
> can anyone tell me what that really means?  Everything I've read points to
> the physical sector size being 2048 data bytes no matter what, so I assume
> that means when you jumper a drive for 512 b/s it's really reblocking on
> the fly but the CD is really written with 2048-byte sectors.  Am I wrong?
You are not wrong. The physical sector size is 2048 bytes. If you jumper
the drive to 512 bytes / block, the drive does internaty a
block-translation. Therefore the blocksize is irrelevant while
recording. You only have to jumper the CD-ROM drive to 512 bytes when
you boot from the CDR.
BTW: I installed Ultrix on my VS3100m76 with a Toshiba 3401B at 2048
bytes / block. Worked.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen