Subject: Re: booting from CD?
To: ville hautakangas <vhautaka@cs.helsinki.fi>
From: Anders Hogrelius SdU <elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/19/1999 21:39:27
On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, ville hautakangas wrote:

> Probably you could get it to ftp.netbsd.org and the mirrors? And the VAX
> hobbyist
> sites, whatever there are. An FTP access to files that big is almost a
> must.

Yepp, if the cd-image works as expected, it should definitely be on
ftp.netbsd.org.

> Is your image a standard ISO cd image, such that can be burned with any
> "normal"
> software on a Windows box? Both CD-R's I have access to have Windows and
> Adaptec Easy CD Creator, that supports ISO images.

Unfortunately no, the image isn't a ISO image. The only way to make a
CD bootable on a VAX, at least without a _lot_ of work, is to use a ffs
filesystem. The only Windoze software i've found that can handle images
other than ISO, is GEAR Pro. There is a timelimited demo available for
download, but it's not obvious that it is for making CD-ROM's. Try to
find it at:
ftp://ftp.gearcdr.com/pub/windows/win95nt/gear/demo/GEARProDVDTrial.ZIP
It doesn't only support DVD mastering, but also supports CD-Rom's.

--
cheers,

/Anders

"Let the future tell the truth and evaluate each one according
to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs, the
future, for which I really worked, is mine."
(Nikolai Tesla, 1856-1943)

* Anders Hogrelius SdU   Phone : +46 21 381860
* Tessingatan 12         E-mail: elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se
* 72216 Vasteras