Subject: Re: New equipment - and errors...
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/19/1999 15:24:56
Pardon the crossposting.

on 12/19/99 3:57 PM, Wolfgang Rupp at rupp@chello.at wrote:

> Chris Tribo wrote:
>> As for the 79 error, did you try resetting the NVRAM?
> How do I do that?

Like I said, I've never seen or used this machine before, but on all the
5000/xxx series that I have, there is a redish-brown four pin connector
block, and somewhere close by there should be a two pin black jumper block.
For the 5000's, you put a jumper on the black block, boot the computer to >>
then remove the jumper and the NVRAM should be reset.

>> When I got my 5000/240 with the Prestoserve card in it, I had to remove the
>> card and then reset the NVRAM before I could get to the >>'s. If this
>> machine was running Ultrix, chances are it installed a bunch of scripts into
>> NVRAM that wouldn't hurt to rid yourself of. It may also be that the
>> Prestoserve battery is dead (one or two batteries if I remember correctly)
> This machine has (had?) Ultrix installed. Don't know on which disk.
> After the self-test I get to the >>, but boot(0,0,0)vmunix does not work.
> How does a Prestoserve card look like?

    On the 5000/xxx series, the Prestoserve is on an MS02 module and plugs
into the memory slots. On the 5500 it may be built into the motherboard or
otherwise connected. The modules I have, have to green LED's atop for status
information and a red flat square battery.

>> I've never dealt with this machine before and the Port-Pmax specs
>> don't help much.
> That's why I posted to port-vax. The DECsystem 5500 is a Qbus system.
> Technically, it's a VAX with different CPU and memory card. There was
> a discussion about a port to the 5500 on port-vax not long ago. BTW,
> this system has DSSI (with 2 RF71) and SCSI (with nothing right now).
>
> Wolfgang

    Hmm, I believe that Port-Pmax folk have the 5500 and 5100 booting, I
really don't see the point of duplicating the efforts of both port-vax and
port-pmax. It does have an R3000 CPU in it. Pmax support for the 5500 is
probably held back simply that no one has one to develop on. I'm sure
someone on one of these two lists will be glad to work on adding full
support, if it isn't already being worked on. Just my 2 cents.

    Happy Holidays

    Chris

--
    "I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure..."