Subject: Re: RZ23 HDs usable?
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/17/1999 13:42:07
On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 03:36:03PM +0100, jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de wrote:

> > Hmmm, I was planning to use SuSE 6.1's "rpc.nfsd". Do you know of any
> > problems with that one?
> This is the old userland nfsd and it will work. The new kernel-nfsd is
> the incompatible nfsd.

More specifically, the knfsd distributed with redhat is b0rken.  I have
heard that linux disributions produced by VA linux have a working kernel
NFS, and remember hearing rumours that the same fixes had been adopted
into knfsd by newer versions of SuSE.  I know H.J. Liu produced some
working ones (I personally run knfsd-981204 and "it works for me"(tm))
but I have no idea for sure where working source now resides.

According to ftp://ftp.varesearch.com/pub/support/hjl/knfsd/README.nfs
you can get the latest snapshots via CVS, but personally at this point
I'm more likely to ditch linux on my i386 for NetBSD than "upgrade"
linux...

--
  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
  "Time Correct function allows automatically correcting slight variation