Subject: Re: RZ23 HDs usable?
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/17/1999 08:57:39
On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de wrote:
> On 17 Dec, Thorsten Jens wrote:

> > Hmmm, I was planning to use SuSE 6.1's "rpc.nfsd". Do you know of any
> > problems with that one?

> This is the old userland nfsd and it will work. The new kernel-nfsd is
> the incompatible nfsd.

For RedHat 6.0 and 6.1 users, you should try running the rpc.mountd
command with the "--no-nfs-version 3" option.  The problem with those
distributions isn't that the knfsd server doesn't work, it's that the
mountd accepts NFSv3 mount requests, but that the kernel doesn't
actually support NFSv3.

This results in an interesting situation in which NetBSD asks RedHat Linux
for a filesystem using NFSv3, Linux's mountd says "okay", but then it
can't deliver :-/  Another option is to force your NetBSD mount requests
to use NFSv2 "mount -t nfs -o,-2 linuxbox:/foo /mnt/foo" but that it's an
option for the bootloader (unless you hack it's source I suppose).

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
      IBM 1130 Club Motto:  "Computer People Are Happy People"