Subject: Re: VS 4000
To: Kel Watson <kel@senet.com.au>
From: Greg Ingram <ingram@symsys.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/17/1999 08:54:31
Hi Ken,

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Kel Watson wrote:

> I have a Digital VAXstation 4000 60 that boots up to a DEC display
> asking for a username and password, but I do not have these

Some|many|most|all vaxen have a switch or button that can 'halt' the
system so you'll get the chevron prompt ('>>>') from the system PROM.  If
the OS is VMS, Steve Hoffman posted instructions to info-vax for getting
in without the SYSTEM user's password.  I've got a copy of his post at:

	http://www.symsys.com/~ingram/hardware/vax.html

> Also there is no floppy drive.(there appears to be a floppy power
> connector similar to a PC one)
> There is no tape drive.
> There are 2 scsi hard drives of about 600 meg ea.(I think)
> 32 meg of RAM.
> I have a 19" monitor and cable, mouse and keyboard.
> I would like to install BSD on this machine, but have absolutely no
> idea wfere to start!

Hmm...  No ethernet?  Ethernet would solve most of your problems.

> My other machine is a 266 PC running win95, win2000 and win
> server2000.(this information is in case it will help with formatting
> the scsi drives or making a boot disk)

> Any help you can give me is appreciated and needed.

Conceivably you could hand-build a system from another BSD system with a
SCSI controller.  I don't know how you'd get the boot code installed
though.

Good luck,

- Greg