Subject: Re: RZ23 HDs usable?
To: None <thodi@et-inf.fho-emden.de>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/17/1999 00:39:26
On 16 Dec, Thorsten Jens wrote:

> I acquired two "VAXstation 3100"s lately. I think they're Model 30, but
> I'm not quite sure. They are both equipped with RZ23 HDs. I read
> somewhere that disk access is so slow that I shouldn't use them at all
> but let the VAX use NFS-exported files only, and that I won't be able to
> boot from them. Is that still true in the latest Kernel snapshots? I'd
> like to know that in advance before I actually install everything.
Get the newest snapshot,
ftp://ftp.de.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/vax/snapshot/19991115/binary/sets/
the new DMA SCSI Kernels and the new bootblocks.
ftp://ftp.de.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/vax/kernels/
I think this booter can not boot from tape. Only disk and netboot is
currently supported. Have a look at
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-vax/1999/10/23/0012.html
to know how to install the new boot stuff.
The easyest way to install is via netboot. Have a look at the Netboot HOWTO
http://world.std.com/~bdc/projects/vaxen/VAX-netboot-HOWTO.html
and
http://www.de.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/
Netbooting from RedHat 6.0 and 6.1 Linux systems does not work, due to
the new, incompatible NFS-Server that comes with this Linux
distribution.
My VAXstation 3100m76 and the VAXserver 3100 of a friend are running
well with this.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen