Subject: Some comments
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@freegate.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/14/1999 16:41:16
So in a somewhat lame attempt at a work around to my problem with the DHV11
(random SEGVs) I thought I'd through a DZV11 (4 x mux) into the box and see
how that worked. It sits at CSR 176100/300.

Running the CONFIGURE command relocates my two secondary disk controllers
as one might expect. This means that I've got to recompile the kernel yet
again in order to figure out if this new configuration will work.

In the process of doing some investigation I was looking at the uba.c code
where it probes for Q-bus devices and calls config_search(). This code ties
into what was compiled into the kernel and looks for devices that it
"should" know about. However, the CONFIGURE command knows about devices it
_doesn't_ know about, ie it can "figure out" what is there if it follows
the rules.

My suggestion is to put "the rules" into the config_search code so that the
kernel can be a bit smarter about configuring in Q-bus devices and
assigning them to drivers. Comments?

--Chuck