Subject: Re: [tls@rek.tjls.com: Re: vt320s of the world unite... (fwd)]
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/13/1999 19:51:22
On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Brian D Chase wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>
> > I take it this doesn't just use SIXELS?  Why not?
>
> Someone else mentioned sixels as well.  Does anyone know of any online
> docs describing sixels?  Just curious.  I remember from my college days
> that the various VT series terminals we had in the computing center were
> capable of graphics, but I never playing with that.  I was content to have
> my 80x24 field of characters for nethack. :-)

First of all, VT320 don't have SIXEL graphics. Basically, SIXEL graphics
are just what they sound like. Each byte defines six pixels. Each
character cell are twelve pixels high.

As for why the program won't run well on a VT420, the reason is that the
character cell on a VT420 have different resolution than that of the
VT320. I have both a VT320 and VT420 here, but I don't know if/where I
have any VT420 documentation.

	Johnny