Subject: 3100m76 SCSI disk detection
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Damian Maxwell <penfold@customware.com.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/11/1999 15:40:55
allo!

I have had 2 'interesting' scsi disk detecion problems recently which
Im hoping someone might a a hint about!

The machine is a 3100m76

problem 1:
I had the VAX running from a quantum fireball 1080 (1G) disk quite
nicely.  When I added a tape drive or second SCSI disk to it, the
Quantum would no longer be detected by the boot roms. (ie, SHOW DEV
missed it entirely)

I reinstalled NetBSD on a 2G baracuda and had this also working nicely.
The boot roms are able to see this as well as the tape drive at the same
time.

When I put both disks in, the boot roms saw only the baracuda but failed
to see the quantum.

NetBSD, however, sees both disks fine.

I am guessing this is some problem with the boot roms,

This isnt a huge drama as I just decided just to use the baracude in the
vax and use the quantum in something els!

Any thoughts?

problem 2: (todays problem!)
I have a (HP?) C2490A SCSI disk here.

I plugged this into the VAX along side the baracuda.  The boot rom sees both
of them with no trouble.

Unfortunately netbsd just ignores it. (it sees the 'cuda at sd0 but never sees
an sd1)

Is this some HP-braindead-butchered-firmware problem?

many thanks in advance,

- Damian