Subject: what is a DHV-11?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@freegate.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/09/1999 17:25:45
I've got a problem. I get sporadic signal 11's on my uVAX 3900.

They are "random" and don't seem to be tied to anything so I've been
looking at everything.

I started noticing them after I added a third DSSI drive to my KFQSA (an
RF30) and kept trying to install the system on that drive using tar and it
would crash with the segv. Then I tried exporting the RF30 via NFS and
copying it on a remote system and that killed nfsd with a segv. When I
tried to run gdb *it* crashed with a segv.

First I checked the memory. The memory is fine (passes all stress tests
overnight)

Then I went back to a previous kernel, that worked except that I didn't see
the new drive 'cuz only two MSCP controllers are genned into GENERIC. I
rebuilt GENERIC with three disks (and no other changes) and it seems to be
working now.

The *other* thing I had changed was that I moved the DHV11 I had "up" the
bus chain toward the CPU since most manuals recommend it that way. I
noticed that since I didn't adjust its CSR in the GENERIC kernel (configure
puts it at 760500) the kernel didn't "see" it.

*** QUESTION ***

I had used the DHU-11 entry to configure the DHV-11 (should be the q-bus
version of the DHU right?) but now I'm wondering if perhaps it is more like
a DZ-11? (it only has 8 ports)

--Chuck