Subject: Re: NVAX/Alpha
To: None <aw@mail1.bet1.puv.fi, PORT-VAX@netbsd.org>
From: None <carlini@andnot.lkg.dec.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/09/1999 17:10:38
>http://www.digital.com/DAHOME/das044hm.htm:
>E2059-AA  LASER XENON MODULE,NV-5,HEX=1      $7,205.00
>
>Is this the right one?  I thought the NVAX5 was
>codenamed "Krypton", not "Xenon"...

In reverse chronological order (and in decreasing CPU power):

The VAX 7000-800 CPU module was codenamed Xenon
The VAX 7000-700 CPU module was codenamed Krypton
The VAX 7000-600 CPU module was codenamed Neon

I'll see if I can dig out someone who remembers the various NVAX flavours from
when they were looked at for the DECnis MPC3.

The platform (shared with the DEC 7000 alpha-based series) was Laser.

The DEC 7000-600 was Ruby
The DEC 7000-700 was Argon (I think ...)

To the best of my knowledge, all you can get now are VAX 7000-800, VAX
4000-108A and MicroVAX 3100-98 - you may also be able to get the
VAXstation 4000-96. These are all variants of some NVAX or other.

Until recently you could also get DECnis MPC3 modules which were also NVAX
based.

I'm pretty sure that no new wafers are being manufactured :-)

The existing stocks are presumably dwindling - in fact I recall that there was
supposedly an announcement at a recent DECUS that more or less said "but no
before they run out".

You could always wait twenty years or so for patents to expire and build a
PCI-based VAX from FPGAs ...

Antonio