Subject: Re: Kernel and RZ56 drive
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/07/1999 16:01:49
> On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 01:25:14PM -0500, NetBSD Bob wrote:
>
> > I have the possibility of getting a storage expansion cabinet or two
> > that seem to have RZ57 drives in them.  Would they work on NBSDvax?
>
> assuming SCSI is supported on your vax, they should.

Yes, my VAX is one of the lesser of the breed, but, it does have nice
scsi I/O.  Right now it only has 5 drives attached, but I could not
resist the temptation to see if the RZ-57's might work.  They looked
very like a Micropolis sort of thingie from the dinosaur days.  But,
I did not know much about them.  If they are still sitting idle in the
surplus pit next week, I will see about lugging them home.

> > What size are they?
>
> about a gig each...  but the best part is that they make the cool big
> drive "chunka" noises which I find much more satisfying than 3.5"
> "chatter" sounds.  :)

Of course... real drives have that hefty Harley Hawg kind of sound.
Not that ringadingie of the 2-cycle crowd.....(:+}}...

I had an 8 inch scsi-1 drive from an old Apple server, and was tempted
to try that, but I could find nothing out about it.  So much for biggie
scsi iron on toy VAXen.....

Bob