Subject: re: Problems building a uVAXII
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: V. M. Haas (Me) <vhaas@eclipse.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/03/1999 21:49:31
People -

I have worked past the stuff I talked about below, and had some
other things going wrong.

This is using a 4.1.1 generic kernel right off the netbsd.org archive.

During the unpacking of the tar archives to the local disks, I got the
following output:

	ra0: invalid command (unknown subcode) (code 1, subcode 224)
	<about 10 of these>
	ra0: invalid command (unknown subcode) (code 1, subcode 224)
	tar: couldn't change access and modification times of ./usr/local/sbin
	 : No such file or directory
	tar: cannot change mode of file ./usr/local/sbin to 0755
	 : No such file or directory
	tar: couldn't change access and modification times of
	 ./usr/local/man/man9 : No such file or directory
	tar: cannot change mode of file ./usr/local/man/man9 to 0755
	 : No such file or directory

<bunch of these cut . . .>

	tar: cannot change mode of file ./usr/local/bin to 0755
	 : No such file or directory
	ra0: invalid command (unknown subcode) (code 1, subcode 224)
	ra0: invalid command (unknown subcode) (code 1, subcode 224)
	panic: Segv in kernel mode: pc 8008fc15 addr 8473ff7b

I figure the chmod program or one of the libraries it depends on is
corrupt.  The error seems to be coming from both ra0 and ra1.

Is there a more recent kernel you can recommend for this, or are we in
new error territory?

-- Mark
   NetBSD Lives!

"V. M. Haas said to me in strictest confidence"