Subject: Re: Netboot problems
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Joules <peter@joules0.demon.co.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/03/1999 16:46:36
In article <3846F0AC.7DAF1704@adenzel.demon.nl>, Alex van Denzel
<alx@adenzel.demon.nl> writes
>Peter Joules wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to install NetBSD on my MicroVAX 3100, and, having failed to
>> boot from tape due to the SCSI problems, I am trying to netboot the
>> installation.
[Snip]
>The line with all the numbers is the loaded kernel. IIRC the firmware
>boots on the first serial port (MMJ), then the kernel is loaded and
>continues on the third MMJ port. Attach a terminal to that and watch...
>There seems to be a jumper to set this right, but I don't know offhand
>which one.

Thanks to those who answered my question by private mail as well.  This
appears to have been the problem.  One I had moved the jumper by the
lights on the back to its upper position and attached the terminal to
the 3rd port it worked OK.

I now have another problem.  If I put the SCSI terminator on the back of
the box it boots OK and finds the internal hard drive, but this is my
VMS drive.  If I attach my expansion box, which has a RZ56 in it and
terminate that it gets as far as:

ncr1 at vsbus0 csr 0x200c0180 vec 774 ipl14 maskbit 0
scsibus0 at ncr1: 8 targets, 8 luns per target
ncr1: no REQ for next phase, abort
ncr1: no REQ while aborting, reset

I can mount the RZ56 under VMS so there is no inherent problem with the
drive.  Is it that NetBSD doesn't like the RZ56 or is there something
else that I can try?

--
Regards
Pete