Subject: Re: VAX & IDE (Was: Anyone have a later snapshot than 19990518?)
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@asim.lip6.fr>
From: David Brownlee <abs@mono.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/02/1999 13:29:51
On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 10:54:16AM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> > 	Not even to work on IDE support? (Someone in Russia (I believe)
> > 	has made a qbus IDE card).
>
> Well, if I can get such a card ...

	Has anyone obtained one of the cards yet (or even contacted the
	guy who makes them - Brian? :)

> But in the past I've helped for IDE on machines I don't have (arm32 or atari,
> for examples).

	Now there is an offer that may interest some vax owners...

> > 	If you really want a vax I can probably ship you a uVaxII from
> > 	here (UK) - it won't have any disks, but will have ethernet...
>
> I fear it will cost much more than it is worth (Vaxes are ususally big and
> heavy machines aren't they ?).

	They vary from the VS2000 (which is a uVaxII wrapped around a
	full height 5 1/4 inch drive - looks like a fat sun IPC), up
	thorugh the VS3100s (between a SS10 and Ultra/1 in size),
	the uVaxII (large PC tower size in its smallest BA23 case), before
	you even hit medium sized vaxes :)

	The BA23 uVaxII is the smallest Qbus machine, and I have one
	spare. It will _definitely_ cost more to ship than it would cost
	to buy if you could find one locally, but... hey, a VAX's worth
	is not measured in dollars, pounds or francs, but in kgs and btus
	:)

		David/absolute