Subject: Re: Crosscompiler for solaris
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@crue.jdwarren.com>
From: Anders Hogrelius SdU <elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/21/1999 14:14:00
On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Lord Isildur wrote:
> Very cool!
> any chance of this running on MIPS DECstations under Ultrix or on an AXP
> running NetBSD?

I can't see why it couldn't be done. If you have the hardware needed to
compile and check the stuff, it could be nice to make all crosscompilers
available in one collection.

The obvious next step would be to merge the code with the standard egcs
distribution. The one of the readme's in the netbsd dist say's something
about merging the code, but so far this hasn't been done.

> i can help with it if you like,

If you can take care of ULTRIX-MIPS and/or NetBSD-Alpha i would be glad,
since i haven't got the hardware needed. I could of course set up a
crosscompiler to make another crosscompiler, :-) but i don't think it
would be a good thing without the possibility to test the executables.

If you want, i can send you a few instructions what's needed to compile
the stuff. Mostly it's things missing in the config-files, and stuff that
is moved to the ./lib and ./usr.bin tree.
There are some other stuff that might have to be patched as well. It seems
that it wasn't such a bright idea to use standard byteorder functions
in the compiler. When i compiled it on solaris which only has empty macros
in htonl and ntohl etc. The header in the object files had the wrong
byteorder, whereas the rest of the file was OK.
-Took quite a while to find the error...
--
cheers,

/Anders

"Let the future tell the truth and evaluate each one according
to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs, the
future, for which I really worked, is mine."
(Nikola Tesla, 1856-1943)

* Anders Hogrelius SdU   Phone : +46 21 381860
* Tessingatan 12         E-mail: elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se
* 72216 Vasteras