Subject: Re: RX-23A / Netbooting VS3100 m30
To: Peter Garay , <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/19/1999 02:22:10
on 11/18/99 5:23 PM, Peter Garay at pgaray@bigfoot.com wrote:

> I am not a netbsd expert and do not have netbsd on my vax, so I might be
> wrong...
>
> On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Chris Tribo wrote:
>> I've got a VS 3100 m30 with
>> ST506/SCSI daughtercard connected to an RZ22 and an RX23A
>> Baseboard video
>> 20 MB of RAM (I think, I forgot to check before I left)

  According to the kernel I have 25MB of RAM, just to clarify. I attached my
boot messages to the end of the email here.

> Just to make sure, check that you try to boot of the right device... I think

> would tell what you have and what device the console sees it on.

    Yep DUA2 is my RX23-A floppy and DKA300 is the DEC rz22 50MB HD

> I would think that the "standard" floppy must have a proper boot block to
> handle the controller and device you are loading it from. IIRC for VMS
> there are different boot blocks for different devices.

    Ah, so I would have to compile my own boot/install kernel specifically
for the RX23 in order for it to work. That isn't going to happen so I can
scratch that one.

> Well, right now I do not have clue, but I'll have to dig into that if I want
> my vax to work, so I might save your E-mail, and get back to you if I'll ever
> have the time...

    I would appreciate that, thanks.

> I do not think the console input has anything to do with NFS setup. Not having
> bsd set up I wonder if it expects a modem control signal that is not connected
> [and I know console would ignore it, so consol works, netbsd does not] ????
> (just a guess...)

    Hmm, well I'm using a VT340 with the DEC MMJ connector. I would think
that the VAX wouldn't even talk to the terminal of DTR or DSR were low. The
VT340 does have modem control BTW, I enabled it but still no go.

> Dig on the web, it takes a lot of time, but most dec cables have a connection
> diagram... I do not have the url, sorry.

    Yeah, thanks anyway. Having a monitor working is the least of my
priorities anyhow :)

>> Lastly, is making my own AUI loopback connector worth the trouble, or
>> am I better off finding a real one/putting a transciever in it?
>
> Do you mean an AUI "null  modem" - that you can connect to an other AUI
> ethernet port and have a LAN of 2 nodes? The loopback is device that is used
> for testing ( a plug, no cable).

    Pardon my stupidity, I meant terminator not loopback :)

> rgds
>
> P.G.

NetBSD 1.4.1 (GENERIC) #13: Fri Aug 13 05:25:08 PDT 1999
    root@futplex:/usr/src/sys/arch/vax/compile/GENERIC

VAXstation 3100/m{30,40}
realmem = 25038848
avail mem = 20713472
Using 305 buffers containing 1249280 bytes of memory.
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: KA41/42
cpu0: Enabling primary cache, secondary cache
vsbus0 at mainbus0
vsbus0: interuppt mask 8
dz0 at vsbus0 csr 0x200a0000 vec 304 ipl 14 maskbit 6
dz0: 4 lines
lkc0 at dz0
ncr0 at vsbus0 csr 0x200c0080 vec 770 ipl 14 maskbit 1
scsibus0 at ncr0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target
sd0 at scsibus 0 targ 3 lun 0: <DEC RZ22 etc.etc...>
sd0: 50MB, 776 cyls, 4 head, 33 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 102432 sectors
ln0 at vsbus0 csr 0x200e0000 vec 120 ilp 14 maskbit 5
ln0: address 08:00:2b:03:44:f5
smd0 at vsbus0 csr 0x200f0000 vec 104 ipl 14 maskbit 3
wsdisplay0 at smg0
wsdisplay0: screen 0 added (128x57, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay1: screen 0 added (128x57, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay2: screen 0 added (128x57, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay3: screen 0 added (128x57, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay4: screen 0 added (128x57, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay5: screen 0 added (128x57, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay6: screen 0 added (128x57, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay7: screen 0 added (128x57, vt100 emulation)
boot device: ln0
nfs_boot: trying DHCP/BOOTP
nfs_boot: BOOTP server: 0xc0a80110
nfs_boot: my_name=vax.home.net
nfs_boot: my_addr=0xc0a80106
nfs_boot: my_mask=0xffffff00
root on decstation:/usr/export/vax/root
Clock has lost 10913 day(s) - CHECK AND RESET THE DATE.
root file system type: nfs
Automatic boot in progress: starting file system checks.
mount_nfs: can't get net id for host
/etc/rc.conf is not configured. Multiuser boot aborted.
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:

--
    "I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure..."