Subject: Re: success in building the world!
To: Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.ORG>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/08/1999 10:32:59
> > pkgsrc is 42M, and I would guess 3 x that for workspace, so probably 200mb
> > additional should work.
>
> pkgsrc is different!  This 42M is just the infrastructure for building
> third-party software.  The source to the software itself is in
> ~ftp/pub/NetBSD/packages/distfiles and is currently around 1.5GB,
> although there's multiple versions of a lot of the software in there.

I was thinking a 3 : 1 ratio for build space for the packages wanted.

Egads, I have never built a full package tree on anything, so I guess for
the fun of it I need to find a lot more disk space.   I usually select
about 50-75 mb of addins which usually builds in around 200mb.

> As an example,
> the All directory of the 1.4.1 vax packages is about 230MB - you'd
> probably want at least triple that for working space and that's not all
> packages (there's 606 binary packages in that directory and 734 in the
> pmax directory).

Sounds entirely reasonable.

On my MicroVAX 3100,  I would take a winter's vacation, and come back
when the compiles finished, next spring.....(:+\\.....

> Simon (the party pooper :-).

Nah, I've got my hip waders on.....(:+}}...

Bob