Subject: Re: success in building the world!
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@freegate.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/06/1999 18:24:29
> >From the make log:
> 	Build started at: Wed Nov  3 10:51:03 PST 1999
> 	Build finished at: Sat Nov  6 05:04:52 PST 1999
> So two days, 19 hrs or so to re-build everything except PKGSRC, XSRC and
> DOMESTIC on a MicroVAX 3900 (KA655 CPU + 64MB). Presumably I can now patch
> things and simply do a 'make all' to pick up the necessary changes. I also
> didn't configure a kernel and build it so thats another known 4 hrs on this
> box so perhaps it takes about 3 days start to finish to build a release.

Kudos!

My VAXbaby finally built a good stripped kernel, today, in only 6 hours.
The 1.4M source tree built OK, but I think I want to pull one or two
more bits out to minimise the kernel and see about optimising for speed.

Anyone have any feeling as to what is the best approach to increase
throughput on a little MicroVAX 3100/20?  I want to try to make it
as fast as possible, by whatever means works reasonably well, and
try to understand what it is that is making things better.  I remember
there was a paper out by one of the Berkeley crowd, somewhere that gave
some insights into tuning for speed.   Any pointers thereto are
appreciated.  So far I have split out the filesystems across multiple
mounts/drives, and that helps.  There is probably more that can be done.

> Another note, I installed all the source tar balls (except xsrc and pkgsrc)
> on a 400MB partition and after building I had 40MB left over. With the xsrc
> you'll probably need at least 600MB. I've not checked how much space the
> pkgsrc tarball takes up.

pkgsrc is 42M, and I would guess 3 x that for workspace, so probably 200mb
additional should work.

Looks like I will need to round up some bigger drives for VAXbaby to chew
on, if I keep the source all together.

All this fine building VAXstuff about..... great stuff!

Thanks, all, for all the tips and pointers for the dummy VAX newbie, here.

Bob