Subject: Re: KDB50 and BI configuration...
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/06/1999 15:28:08
----- Original Message -----
From: Christian Johansson <cjn@isd.se>
To: <port-vax@netbsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 1999 1:10 AM
Subject: KDB50 and BI configuration...

> Does anyone know if there are any docs on how to configure BI busses,
> floating around on the 'net'?

I have something on configuring a CMD BI SCSI controller.  Basically, it
says
you only need to do things if the blue dongle is missing.

> I have some trouble booting from a KDB50 which were moved from one machine
> to another. And I just don't have a clue about what im doing... ;) What
> does the small blue "id dongles" above the bus backplane do, really?
> The card booted the 8530 where it used to sit, but when moved to a 6xx0
which
> used to boot of CI it don't work.

ER, I'm assuming you have correctly changed the boot configuration?
(SET BOOT etc)?
If you do a sho config does the console see the device?
Any errors on post?  What's the errors on boot? Do you have the cabling
correct?
Have you installed the cables from the backplane to the SDI connectors
correctly?
(It's not too hard to 'miss' and be on, say, an empty slot next to the one
you are after...)
What about drive ID's?

f you post a capture of the boot sequence, sho config, sho boot etc.
I'm sure we can figure it out...
>It's not so fun to spend more electricity
> (heat!) on HSC70's than on the CPU itself...

Bit like that... The HSC has a few party tricks that can make it worthwhile
for other
reasons, but yes, it's a bit thirsty...

Cheers

Geoff Roberts