Subject: Re: Minimum MicroVAX 3100/20 kernel config?
To: None <IVIE@cc.usu.edu>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/05/1999 19:58:40
On  5 Nov, Roger Ivie wrote:

>> Off the wall thought.... would a standard scsi cdburner like maybe
>> one of the Phillips things work satisfactorily on a MicroVAX 3100,
>> or would the MicroVAX be too slow to support the I/O.
>
> Herr Moeller of MicroVAX 2000 SCSI port driver for VMS fame claims to
> have succesfully burned CDs on a 2000. I suspect that with the DMA
> upgrade the 3100 should work fine.
I used a SPARCstation 1 for toasting CDRs with quad speed. No problem
and the machine was mostly idle. A VS3100 can be fast enough, just
test. But you must creat a image file. Toasting on the fly needs much
more power. A SPARCstation ELC (comparable to 15 VUPs) is fast enough
to do recording on the fly with quad speed. A VS3100m76 can be fast
enoung to do recording on the fly with double speed.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen