Subject: Re: SETI@home ?
To: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.dbit.com>
From: None <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/04/1999 15:47:58
> >There were two math processors, 8231 and 8232.  I believe 8232 was Ieee FP
> >But I forget how many bits(32 I think).
>
> Didn't AMD have an FP chip too?  I dimly remember seeing an S-100 board
> (or something like that) in the Quest catalog ages ago, I'm probably totall
> making up these numbers but ISTR they gave you your choice of Am9511 or Am9512.
> Or something like that.  Am I insane?

9511 and 9512, aka 82** guess who made them for intel?

> 8-bit micro.  I spent this past weekend writing a set of F_FLOATING routines

Actually you did it in 8 or 16 bit chunks and did a pointer to a memory
work area.  Slow.

> Anyway, having to feel your way out one bit at a time in 16-bit pieces with
> "DAD H" etc. would be really slow going!  5 msec is no surprise, especially
> for division where you'd be spilling stuff in and out of the registers big
> time...

Yep.  However if you did it using 4bit BCD it was pretty easy to use
memory as storage.  It wasn't faster by much but there was less of a
problem with truncation/roundoff.  Some where I have a 4-n digit package
for z80.  It was neat to do it to 16 places, slow too.

Allison