Subject: Re: What source tree sections needed for only kernel compiles?
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/03/1999 13:06:43
> > for kernel only building?

> You only need the sys.tar.gz tarball. Eventually you also need
> config.tar.gz, if config has changed. If it still take too much
> space you can remove all non-vax architectures.

OK,.... is there anything else than VAXen?.....(:+}}.....
(Oops...  Did I say that.....(:+}}.....)

Sys should fit and build in 100mb, I would think, so that should
be OK on the root RZ25 without anything strange.

> My 3100 have been compiling the world since last weekend, and is
> now 1/2 of the way, I think. I assume it will be ready this weekend
> sometimes.

A week.....?

Oh, oh..... would it be more practical to wait until you or someone
else builds a fresh set of tarballs?  If I leave the MicroVAX 3100
on downstairs, you can hear the RZ25's whining away, upstairs in
the middle of the night.  That is not considered by some in the house
to be sweet musick.

How long does a plain kernel compile take..... overnight?

On the 1.4L-DMASCSI kernel, it seems to want a floppy drive for sd2.
The sd2 hard drive is not recognized at all on my MicroVAX 3100/20.
Is that usual or something configured specifically in your build.
I was thinking that was tailored to a VS3100 with scsi floppy rather
than a MicroVAX 3100 with the dual controllers and 6 drives.  That was
why I was thinking I should recompile the kernel.

Also, what, in particular is the difference between the DMASCSI and
the DMASCSI-CRT kernels?

I now have both a MicroVAX 3100/20 and a VAXstation 3100/30 so will need
to tailor the best kernel setups appropriate for each class machine.
Eventually, I want to get the VS3100 up with the color graphics board
and the big HA-19 color monitor for X use.

Thanks

Bob