Subject: Re: Disks not found
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Thordur Ivarsson <totii@est.is>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/31/1999 12:10:31
Anders Magnusson wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I added my 655MB RZ56 disks to the system last night and tried to boot,
> > everything looks ok but, the disks need "START_UNIT" command to get
> > found, or I belive so, because if I enter "SHOW DEV" they spin up and I
> > get correct SCSI information but when I run the kernel I get
> >
> > ncr1: no REQ for next phase, abort
> > ncr1: no REQ while aborting, reset
> > ncr1: reset SCSI bus for TID=2 LUN=0
> > ncr1: no REQ for next phase, abort
> > ncr1: no REQ while aborting, reset
> > ncr1: reset SCSI bus for TID=2 LUN=0
> >
> > the two new disks are ID=2 and ID=3
> >
> > Any other Ideas ??
> >
> A quick try shows that the SCSI probe spins up the disk I have in
> a /m38 here; the disk is a RZ23. Then everything works OK.

They don't, I used the disks with FreeBSD before so I know they are
working,they needed "START UNIT" that I sent with "CAMCTL" similar to
scsictl, they spin up with "show dev" but not with SCSI probe.

scsictl does not offer "START_UNIT" but do you have any other solution
to send the disks "START UNIT" for testing.

Thordur