Subject: Re: 3100 booting problems solved!!!
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/30/1999 14:11:45
> Should I be moving my MicroVAX 3100/20 serial console from S1 to S3?
>
> Mine dies after the program counters tally up on the first booing
> line returned from the kernel load.  Nothing else seems to be
> happening, except it just goes away (I was thinking it was hanging,
> but maybe not, and it is just diverting to the other port).

YEAH!  VAXbaby is up sporting NetBSD-1.4.1+1.4LDMA!

Someone add to the INSTALL.txt files that on the MicroVAX 3100/20,
you MUST switch that silly little recessed switch DOWN (the one next
to the idiot light panel on the back of the VAX).

That solved most of my problems, and the machine is now running happily
on NetBSD 1.4.1+DMA.

Thanks Ragge!

BUT.....

There is some strange device numbering going on with the beast that
I don't quite fully understand.

The machine is a MicroVAX 3100/20 with a VT410 console, running 6
drives on Ultrix (now with one on NetBSD).

DKA0   RZ25
DKA100 RZ24 (netbsd)
DKB0   RZ24
DKB100 RZ24 (netbsd clone)
DKB200 RZ25 clone
DKB300 RZ55 external

The problem is that NetBSD seems to be wanting to call the drives in some
way as to not recognize all of them.  The kernel seems to only handle the
first 4 drives.

DKA0 seems to be sd0 (not sure since that is the ultrix root und verboten)
DKA100 is sd1 (original drive to which netbsd was installed)
DKB0 seems to be a scsi floppy drive in netbsd?????  Did not recognize sd2
DKB100 is sd3 (cloned the sd1 drive to it for safety backup)
DKB200 is not recognized
DKB300 is not recognized

Is that correct?  I think what is happening is that the kernel may not
have but the first 4 drive positions compiled in.  IF so, it sounds
like I need to recompile kernel?  Also the generic is calling sd2 a
scsi floppy.  Is that a carryover from VS3100 where scsi floppy exists?

Where can I get a set of sources by ftp tarball to setup and recompile
the kernel?  I don't have net access at home, so need a tarball to write
to tape or cd to carry home.  Ragge, or whomever, can I get a kernel
source tarball (or whatever is needed for a kernel recompile) with the
latest dmascsi things?

VAXbaby is almost happy, but needs some kernel stroking to get all the
6 drives and the tk50 and the cdrom back aboard.

Any pointers thereto or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Bob