Subject: Re: 3100 booting problems solved!!!
To: None <dehartog@tip.nl>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/29/1999 16:32:29
> I've been fighting to boot my microVAX 3100 for weeks now and got
> so far that it booted over the net and was pingable after that but
> no console after the kernel starts (the firmware talks to the S1-port).

Which exact MicroVAX 3100?  20?

> Well, today I spoke to an old deccie engineer and he told me the trick:
> On some 3100's there's a little dipswitch at the back side; not labeled
> but reachable without opening the box. It switches the console port AND
> the firware-dialog to (or from!) the third RJ-plug (S3).

                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I vaguely remember something about that.

Should I be moving my MicroVAX 3100/20 serial console from S1 to S3?

Mine dies after the program counters tally up on the first booing
line returned from the kernel load.  Nothing else seems to be
happening, except it just goes away (I was thinking it was hanging,
but maybe not, and it is just diverting to the other port).

> Flipped the switch and saw BSD's Copyright coming up!!! (Console on S3).
>
> Yippeeeeeeeeeh!!
>
> Now catching up on all the SCSI- and DMA- stuff.
>
> Hans de Hartog.

I will try that on mine, just in case mine also has been booting and
going off to that other port?

Anyone else know anything about this switch.  I think he is referring
to the little one out by the idiot light display on the back, but
I am not exactly sure.

(keeping fingers crossed....., but I have a line on a VS3100 this
weekend, just in case the uVAX3100 just won't NetBSD yet.....(:+}}...)

Thanks

Bob