Subject: Re: Booting MicroVAX 3100/20....stuck at vaxboot
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/28/1999 10:46:10
On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> I am having trouble getting past the NetBSD/vaxboot stage of tape installation
> on a MicroVAX 3100/20.  The machine is running Ultrix fine.  The TK50 tape
> has a boot.fs image dd'd to the start of the tape followed by a tarball of
> *.tgz.  The system is 1.4.1.  Booting the tape gives the boot loader:
>
> [snip]

Well, the NetBSD 1.4.1 really isn't setup for a SCSI based tape install.
We only just recently got DMA support in the 1.4L kernel, and that's not
the kernel contained in the 1.4.1 install media.  A couple of people here
have tried to do SCSI tape installs with the 1.4.1 stuff, but I've not
heard of anyone having success.  I certainly haven't had any luck with my
4mm DAT drive.  I haven't poked around with SCSI tape support on the 1.4L
kernel just yet, but I'd imagine it has a better chance of working now
than ever before.

The only tape devices I know of which work for the install are the TMSCP
capable ones commonly found in the older Q-bus and Unibus systems.  Your
options with 1.4.1 under the MicroVAX 3100/20 will be either to netboot to
the netbsd.ram kernel, or you can `dd' the install image to the raw device
for a SCSI disk on some other system and then boot from that disk on your
MicroVAX.  I've done this using a Zip drive on some of my VAXstation
3100s.  A SCSI based floppy, or Jaz, or even hard drive could be used just
as easily.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
It was powered by one AA battery from Radio Shack, in other words, half
a normal AA battery.  -- K.