Subject: Re: MicroVAX 3100 NetBSD
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/27/1999 09:49:57
> I think you may have a 20 there.  I've never actually seen a 30 so I can't
> give you specifics.  I do know that the 20 was based on the CVAX chip
> series that began in 1987.  The 30 didn't come along until sometime around
> or after 1991 and is based on the SOC chip series.

I did a little play with the machine last night.

It may be a 20.

MicroVAX 3100 KA41-A V1.3, KA41-A/B with FPU, UBA0, ln0, with a label
on the back of the case as ``DV-31CT1-A'' (anyone know exactly what that
model is?).  Console is a VT420.  UBA0 SCSI 1 has drives on ID 1 and 2.
UBA0 SCSI 2 has drives on ID 0, 1, 2, with TK50 on 5.  UBA0 SCSI 2 ID3
was removed to make room for the TK50.

The boot tape was built on the TK50 (/dev/nrmt2h on Ultrix).  It was
a dd of boot.fs followed by a tarball of *.tgz.  Both 1.4 and 1.4.1
tapes were built.

On booting, it came up into the boot monitor, then checked for 4
different kernels, and halted at the > prompt.  It did the same thing
in 1.4 or 1.4.1.

The autoboot seems to not be finding the kernel anywhere, or zdummy here
is not knowing what to poke where to make it find the right kernel.
The INSTALL.txt is a tad cryptic, and deals with pcmcia stuff for VAX?
Help on the boot menu is rather spartan.  My assumption is that zdummy
operator here is not knowing what to feed into the console.....(:+{{...

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Bob