Subject: Re: MicroVAX 3100 NetBSD
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/26/1999 13:07:58
On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> I am not exactly sure of what is inside the case.  It is very similar
> to the VS3100 machine internally, but it has a two-level high 5-drive
> bay, with the ram board as the VS3100 (I think), but the scsi
> controller is a bit different (don't remember exactly how).  I was
> thinking the 10 series was the single high case, and the 20 the double
> high case and the 30 was in the same double-high case?  Maybe what I
> have is the 20 series.  I will check for board/case numbers tonight.
> Should I be hoping it is actually a 20 rather than a 30?

I think you may have a 20 there.  I've never actually seen a 30 so I can't
give you specifics.  I do know that the 20 was based on the CVAX chip
series that began in 1987.  The 30 didn't come along until sometime around
or after 1991 and is based on the SOC chip series.

See the VAX performance figures for details on system lineage.
http://world.std.com/~bdc/projects/vaxen/vax-perf.html

The VAX Hardware Ref also has some info.
http://www.netbsd.org/Library/Hardware/Machines/DEC/vax/index.html

It claims that the MicroVAX 3100/30 used the same enclosures as the
VAXstation 3100's and the ealiest MicroVAX 3100's.

> If it is a 30, how is the 30 different from the 20, so I can understand
> what the diffs are?

Different generation of CPU for one... as far as the other stuff goes, I
can't say that I know, but there are probably others on the list with
first-hand experience.  I'd suspect that given the years between the
release of the two systems, there will also be significant differences in
their support chips as well. (Different ethernet and SCSI chipsets).

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
      Are you absolutely sure that you want to do this? [ny] n