Subject: Re: Boot stuff for SCSI available.
To: Wolfgang Rupp <rupp@chello.at>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/26/1999 02:01:33
On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Wolfgang Rupp wrote:
> Thordur Ivarsson wrote:

> > boot device: sd0
> > root on sd0a dumps on sd0b
> > mountroot: trying cd9660...
> > mountroot: trying nfs...
> > mountroot: trying lfs...
> > mountroot: trying ffs...
> > root file system type: ffs
> > init: copying out path `/sbin/init' 11
> >
> > nothing more..
>
> I also get this far only. Nothing more. The difference is that on
> my box the kernel does not recognize where it booted from:
>
> boot device: <unknown>
> root device: sd0a [entered by hand]
> dump device: (default sd0b):
> file system (default generic):
> root on sd0a dumps on sd0b
> mountroot: trying cd9660...
> mountroot: trying nfs...
> mountroot: trying lfs...
> mountroot: trying ffs...
> root file system type: ffs
> init: copying out path `/sbin/init' 11
> --[box is dead]---
>
> I can boot from disk and then mount / over nfs, though.
> Disk access itself is fast and o.k.

As Thordur has recently pointed out, this appears to be a side-effect of
not having run a `./MAKEDEV all' in the newly populated disk's /dev
directory.  Without a /dev/console, it's difficult for the poor kernel to
talk to you :-)

I suppose it could make some assumptions as it's obviously talking to you
up to this point, but humor it and make the device files instead.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
Never eat any food which might accidentally break inside your mouth!  -- K.