Subject: Help! My Sysinst of 1.4.1 is failing..
To: <>
From: None <Paul.Sawyer@tellabs.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/25/1999 16:35:41
Anyone,

I'm looking for help...

I am trying to install 1.4.1 onto a 750 from TU81 -

The machine has 6.5 MB of memory, and can currently
run BSD4.2 from hp style drives.

It also has 2 ra81 drives (that I want to install 1.4.1
onto.)

So far,

I have managed to manually (from the 1.4.1 miniroot
single user prompt) disklabel both of the ra drives,
copy the miniroot.fs from the tape to ra0a, install
the boot block using disklabel -B, and even cold
boot the miniroot from ra0a ....

Sysinst will not work for some reason - it gets to
the point where it wants to disklabel the install disk,
and returns to the first screen without reporting any
errors.
I have turned on the logging, and no errors are reported,
just the final /sbin/umount /mnt2.
I have turned on the scripting, and the script file shows
where sysinst was trying to cat the disk geometry params
onto diskpart in /etc, and then the next thing is the
/sbin/umount /mnt2. No errors reported.  The thing never
goes beyond this point.

Is there a manual install proceedure somewhere that I
can follow ? (I tried reverse engineering sysinst code
and got tired of that pretty quick.)
Is there some hidden de-bug switch I can turn on to get
more info about where sysinst is going wrong ? verbose
mode or the like ?

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Paul Sawyer