Subject: Re: New SCSI DMA w/MONO (& Re: New SCSI DMA kernel available.)
To: S. Akmentins-Teilors <staylor@mrynet.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/24/1999 13:36:47
On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, S. Akmentins-Teilors wrote:

> Has ANYONE booted the SCSI code on a VS3100 using the mono/keyboard
> arrangement, and not the serial console?  AFAICT, this is the issue.

I'd agree.  I've got a VAXstation 3100/M38, 16Megs RAM, SCSI/SCSI
controller, no color graphics boards present, 200MB RZ24, mono graphics
monitor, LK201 plugged directly into the back of the VS3100, console dip
switch set in the "down" position. I'm netbooting from a NetBSD/sparc
system using DHCP to provide the diskless setup.

When I boot this system up with the 1.4.1 GENERIC kernel it boots fine in
both serial and graphics mode.  When I boot the system up with the first
released DMA capable kernel under serial console it boots fine.  When I
boot it under the graphics console it, the kernel starts loading and just
when it finishes loading the kernel, it kicks into a restart.  I think
this happens when kernel tries to change the graphics mode to display the
smaller font.

I've not tried the second kernel posted by Ragge.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
        If you could only say two words, what would they be?
            I'd have to go with "gimme" and "don't".  -- K.