Subject: Re: New SCSI DMA w/MONO (& Re: New SCSI DMA kernel available.)
To: None <staylor@mrynet.com>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/23/1999 07:33:41
On Fri, 22 Oct 1999 staylor@mrynet.com wrote:

> > >         85  RESTART SYS
> > >
> > > This occurs both from floppy and from netboot.
> > >
> > I belive that i got this when using old mop bootloader!
>
> I've addressed the mop/image issues already.  It isn't the netbooting.

Are you sure about that? Not to be nit-picking, but what you told the list
was that your boot.mop was able to successfully boot other kernels you had
lying around/downloaded/whatever and thus you concluded that it was OK. Is
that correct, or did I miss something?

Note that if those other kernels were 1.4 branch (1.4_ALPHA, 1.4_BETA,
1.4 or 1.4.1) or earlier this means squat. A 1.4 boot.mop could very
conceivably have problems booting a -current kernel (the one Ragge has
made with SCSI DMA support is 1.4L, a leap in evolution from the 1.4
branch).

If you're not sure, compile a brand new boot.mop from _the same version
sources_ as the kernel you're attempting to boot (in this case,
NetBSD-current as of a few days ago, also know internally as NetBSD-1.4L).

Remember, NetBSD is not just one moving target, but thousands of them and
some have to be in sync.

If I misunderstood you and you have already tried this, please accept my
apologies.

(I don't think I saw anyone else explicitly confirm that a 1.4 branch
boot.mop would successfully boot Ragge's 1.4L kernel, or did I miss that
(too)?)

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2