Subject: Re: New SCSI DMA kernel available.
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/22/1999 19:21:10
On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, NetBSD Mailing list wrote:
> Anders Magnusson writes:

> > I have just checked in the SCSI fixes for VS3100, and also uploaded a
> > kernel for testing, this time to:
> > ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/vax/kernels/netbsd-1.4L-DMASCSI
>
> Just FYI, my m38 with the mono head on it still insists on failing
> with 85  RESTART SYS
> right after loading the kernel
>
> I've managed to catch the load sizes, if that's of any interest:
> 	909784+48568+16086+[69912+80169] total 0x135e39
>
> 	85  RESTART SYS
>
> This occurs both from floppy and from netboot.

Maybe some things to check:

[1] Have you power cycled it between boots?  I've occassionally run into
    situations where in booting up new kernel after having run a preceding
    version of the kernel, with only a warm boot between them, the new
    kernel would experience errors setting up the CPU cache and panic.  I
    haven't followed up on the problem with a send-pr as I should've.

[2] For statistical purposes.  How much RAM do you have installed in
    your system?  I know people were running into flakiness on VS3100/M76
    systems maxed out at 32Megs.

Those are more shots in the dark than anything, but it's something.
Better than Microsoft support at least.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
      Are you absolutely sure that you want to do this? [ny] m