Subject: Booting Questions
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Redding <mark@newpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/18/1999 03:03:15
I've just installed 1.4.1 on a VAXstation 4000 VLC (as a diskless workstation served by FreeBSD 3.3) and have a few questions.

1. I first tried to net install this machine at work, however we have an NT server which responded to the BOOTP requests before my NetBSD/Alpha machine could respond to the bootparamd requests. Is there a way (at boot time) to select which to use ?
2. Okay, I couldn't netboot the machine from work so I took the machine home and setup a FreeBSD machine as the bootserver (many thanks to Brian Chase for an excellent HOWTO), and the machine successfully timed out BOOTP and loaded via bootparamd as I wanted it to. However, the problem I have at the moment is that although I have setup the bootserver and the CCL so that the machine will auto boot, I still have to go to the console (minicom session) as the booting process hangs at the "press any key to abort boot 5" prompt, and I have to press the return key to get it to actually "boot netbsd".
3. This morning I compiled a new kernel (okay, I started it last night and it finished this morning) but when I boot the new kernel, I get an excessive error rate message concerning getty and the console does not respond. Any ideas as to what I've commented out that I shouldn't have in the kernel configuration file ?
4. The kernel has thus far failed to find my hard-drive (not too much of a problem as it's only 120MB anyway), but are there any plans to add support for the SCSI interface on the VLC ?

regards,

Mark Redding
-= a crash reduces you expensive computer to a simple stone =-