Subject: Re: SCSI DMA testers wanted.
To: Doug Worrell <icarus@gtemail.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/18/1999 01:14:55
> Either we are both idiots or something.... ie.. downloaded it nonbinary...
> but my VS3100 M38 with 12 megs and 2 SCSI controllers does the nice spiff
> 85 RESTART SYS... has been doing it repeated for the last 4 hours now..
> tho i will try redownloading the kernel...

Um, I have this STRANGE need to yell, "HURRAY!" *LOL*
I was really hoping I was doing something really silly, but I've tried
EVERYTHING, and was starting to feel the fool.

I redownloaded the kernel myself, changed the bootp stuff, then finally
gave up since the simple fact is that ALL other kernels are booted
successfully across the net.

On a totally separate thought, has anyone dealt with (or experienced)
a problem when ASKNAME kicks in?   I absolutely can't get ANY keystrokes
to be recognised properly when responding to the prompt requesting the
boot device, dump device, or filesystem type.   it's been like this
FOREVER (read: a year).   It happens on every VS3100 here.
For each key typed, there is what appears to be a pointer or buffer
problem:  The keys you type SORT OF appear, but not on the keystroke
you want them to, and some are dropped.   (This is using the console
keyboard, not the serial port).  I once built a kernel that worked
just fine, but I have yet to be able to build a kernel (much less
the world successfully) on any machine here (due to funkyness with
the gcc -O and other recent flux in the source).  Since I only have
the VS3100's and uVax II's, whipping such a thing together isn't
exactly a Quick Thing :D

Anyhoo, any and all help are greatly appreciated regarding the above :D

-skots
--
Scott G. Akmentins-Taylor     InterNet: staylor@mrynet.com
MRY Systems			        staylor@mrynet.lv