Subject: Re: panic: segv in kernel mode
To: Roger Ivie <IVIE@cc.usu.edu>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/28/1999 19:39:12
On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Roger Ivie wrote:

> VAXstation 4000/60 - 8MB RAM. Compiles kernels quickly, but not reliably;
>   no kernel I have built has been stable enough to build a kernel while
>   running it (I even built GENERIC), and now I'm having trouble building
>   while running the distributed kernel.
> VAXstation 4000/96 - I have not yet tried this machine with NetBSD. Should
>   I?
>
> Is anyone doing actual work with any of the above machine classes, or am
> I just extraordinarily unlucky?

I'm running a _very_ stable 4000/90 with -current (1.4K of Aug. 31). It's
diskless of course (no SCSI support at all), but very fast. I'd imagine
your /96 should be a screamer - if it's supported by the /90 code.

Want I should mail you my /90 kernel?

> Of course, I always have my standby MicroVAX II, but I was hoping to
> bring up a stable platform more powerful and less noisy.

There is _nothing_ more stable than a II. ;-)

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2