Subject: Re: Pros/Cons of MicroVAX II for NetBSD?????
From: Ronny Svedman <ronny@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/25/1999 05:18:41
On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, NetBSD Mailing list wrote:

> Bob,
>
> > > I run two MVII's in BA23's here.  Both have NetBSD.
> > > The only major caveat is that the puppy is REALLY slow compared to
> > > most anything else on the planet.
> >
> > I am not all that worried about speeeeeeeed, but mostly the reliability
> > and maintainability of the box.

Well, if your MVII:s have been runnning fro n years without problems, they
probably will run another n years with just a little positive energy...
:-)

> > I was reading in the decvax journal on one of the archives that
> > there was a rather ugly problem with power cabling and connectors
> > buning on some 11000 of the machines.  Is that likely to be a problem?

> I read that as well.  None of my DEC associates have ever actually
> seen this happen, and it was indeed a concern of mine.  After regularly
> poking around at the wires and checking for warmth and discoloration,
> I've since become unconcerned with the issue--at least with the units
> I have.

Well - as i said above: if you have one of the "bad" units, how on earth
did it survive to get into your hands, when theyre 14 years old ??

the one i have, has been running 24/7 from 1987 to 1997 (with vms), and
then it stood in a storage for two years. I have been runnning it to and
fro (can't sleep with it running in my dorm room...)

I reckon if it ran 10 years, it'll run another few...

* Ronny Svedman  	ronny@update.uu.se		*
* Sturegatan 12A :123   Lando_C, in IRCnet #australia	*
* 75314 UPPSALA         http://www.update.uu.se/~ronny	*
* Sweden    		+46-(0)702-157961		*