Subject: Re: Pros/Cons of MicroVAX II for NetBSD?????
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/24/1999 12:58:04
> I run two MVII's in BA23's here.  Both have NetBSD.
> The only major caveat is that the puppy is REALLY slow compared to
> most anything else on the planet.

I am not all that worried about speeeeeeeed, but mostly the reliability
and maintainability of the box.

> I do netboot them both, since I long-ago yanked
> out the floppies in order to add additional drives. in the cabinet.

I was reading in the decvax journal on one of the archives that
there was a rather ugly problem with power cabling and connectors
buning on some 11000 of the machines.  Is that likely to be a problem?

> With the speed issue aside, they have proven their utilitarian
> value  for providing me the VAX platform I need for software
> porting issues.

Sounds good.  I was mainly wanting something to play with, and since
the machine might be available thought I would inquire.

How does it compare to a MIcroVAX 3100 in speed?  I sense they
are about the same order of slowness.

Thanks

Bob