Subject: Re: Status of uv3100 support?
To: Jon . <los_alamos@hotmail.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/16/1999 19:05:47
On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Jon . wrote:

> No TKZ50 booting huh?  Was it supposed to be supported, have people
> actually tried it?  That's about my only booting option right
> now...unless someone can answer this question.

Straight TK50's and TK70s which show up as TMSCP devices are supported.
The TK50Z is an unknown and untested entity as far as I know.  I would not
expect them to work with 1.4.1.  Netbooting the install kernel is a
not-too-bad option.  Another option would be to "dd" the install image
onto a second SCSI hard drive or even a Zip disk.  You then boot from this
second drive and install the system onto your first drive.

> What is the size and
> type of the floppy in a VAXstation 3100?  From all the docs I've read,
> it looks to be 1.2MB SCSI.  Is it still possible to boot from this?

They're 3.5in drives.  I've just been using 1.44MB DOS formatted disks
with the install image dumped to them.  The floppy drives for the
VAXstation 3100 come in either MFM or SCSI flavor.  I think the M30 tends
to come with an MFM drive, the M38 and M76 tend to come with SCSI drives.

-brian.
---