Subject: Re: Bug in /etc/security?
To: Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/13/1999 09:22:36
On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Dann Lunsford wrote:

> Running 1.4.1 on a VS3100m76, 32MB, several inboard non-DEC SCSI
> drives.  Machine ran VMS 5.5 fine, till a few days ago, so I'm pretty
> sure the hardware is OK.  NetBSD, however has been crashing *reguarly*
> every day at 0315.  Crash has been wildly variant, no single address
> or type.  I've traced it down to *something* in /etc/security.
> Haven't had time to do anything else. Renaming /etc/security stopped
> the crashes, machine has been up all night, for the first time.

Have you started with the cron job being run each night at 3:15am?

  # crontab -l root

Shows that the /etc/daily script is run each night with it's output being
saved to /var/log/daily.out.  If you check the log file, you may get some
idea of precisely where things went wrong, based on the output.

You'll probably want to put /etc/security back in place to get test
results.  Also, if you don't want to wait around until 3:15am each night,
you should be able to replicate the problem by either running /etc/daily
or maybe "/bin/sh /etc/daily".

-brian.
---