Subject: Re: Various VAX-ish gear
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@crue.jdwarren.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/13/1999 11:00:15
Theres no differecne between the DECsystems 5x00 for x=4,8,9, etc and a
microVAX 3[469]00. Theyre basically mayfair machines with MIPS processors
instead of VAX processors. They usually are found in standard BA213 boxen
which are also often found mounted in racks. Theyre much more like a VAX
than a DECstation, aside from the processor. All you have to do to make a
uVAX 3n00 out of one is change the processor board. I recently donated a
5400 to the NetBSD/pmax development effort since they lacked such a
machine to do any testing on. The work theyve done there should be useful
in a lot of ways for supprting uvax 3x00s, but i think theres a lot of
overlap as it is. All the MIPS cpu support and VM stuff is based on Mach,
though, which is absolutely disgusting. Most of it's been reqritten (T.
Nishimura a couple months ago totally revamped virtual emory on the
dECstations) but it does still carry some machness with it. (still, use
it, its good stuff!) personally, i prefer Ultrix though, when it really
comes down to it.. :-)