Subject: Re: Booter test please
To: Michael Kukat <michael@aiolos.webmailer.de>
From: J.S. Havard <enigma@sevensages.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/11/1999 16:08:28
I'm killing this thread.  Well, the offtopic why didn't dec make things a
little bit more compatible part of it, anyways.  These aren't the droids
you are looking for, move along.

> Hi !

Hola mia vaxmonger.

> > You know, if there is one good the about Pee Cees, it is that whatever can
> > run on a 12MHz 386 can run on a PIII Xeon 500MHz box.  It may not be
> > optimized (at that speed, who could tell?), but atleast it will work!  As
> > great as the vax is, this is something that could have been better.  Low
> > level stuff.  There is so much work that must be put into getting it to
> > run on the next model, it just isn't even funny.
> >
> > No wonder VMS isn't "The Greatest<tm>".  There is a ton of crap in the
> > low-level stuff that is specific to certain models, all billion and three
> > or so.  The only good part about this is that when DEC made the screwed up
> > hardware, it worked, and it usually worked very well.  I guess that is the
> > price we pay for advancement?
>
> Don't know exactly, what you wanted to say me this way, but i think i
> understoot your point-of-view. This is the point why you could live perfectly
> with 20 MB harddisk and 512 KB of RAM on your 286, and run the necessary office
> products to work a bit efficient. Today you run the same office products, some
> more functions are inside, some hidden games, and the price is: You now need
> a box which is about 50-100 times faster, has 100 times more RAM... and the
> systems get more instable because of lots of unnecessary functions. (and hidden
> games... when talking of M$ :-)
>
> But with NetBSD on the VAXen you can just kick out everything you don't need
> from the kernel, and build a tiny kernel, individual for your platform. So you
> gan get a bit in the direction of having an optimized system for it, no matter
> if you use a MicroVAX II or a VAX 4000/500. CPUs change, architecture tries
> to stay a bit compatible, you have to code some things to make the new hardware
> happy, and to get the binaries as compatible as possible.

Yep.  That is pretty much my point, I think in a less flustered way. :)

I'm killing this thread.

> So long... Michael

Regards,
John Havard