Subject: Re: Don't buy a vax, but the vax (was Re: RIP, VAX)
To: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
From: J.S. Havard <enigma@sevensages.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/29/1999 04:28:51
> <while we are at it, use the Qbus.  I think there is enough documentation
> <out there that one can figure out how it works.  :-)  What's the
> <speed/bandwidth limitations on the Qbus?  Might have to change it, make it
> <SuperQ or something.
>
> First do some reading about qbus, dec publish handbooks yeary from 76
> though the late 80s (minimum) with the qbus spec clearly called out.
> It clearly only qualifies as a mystery to those totally unfamiliar
> with DEC hardware or Docs.  It's only 16bits wide, vax is 32.  It's only
> 22bits addressing, not nearly enough.  It's not that slow to start with.
> IT's a PDP-11 bus.

My mind has already been changed on this.  Now that I know a little more
of the Qbus.  Also, the cards would be large and expensive.

> HUH?  the average vax run from .3vup (VAX11/730) to somewhere in the
> hundreds of VUPs peerformance level.  Only PCs has a slowdown switch
> for code that ran software timing loops, truly unique to PCs.

Yeah, but there are purists out there.  I've seen a PDP11 purist that
refuses to run one PDP11 emulator because it runs a little fast.  "It
isn't as pure" is his actual saying.

> The truely correct way to slow a vax some is to add users, small VAXen
> start with tens of them, bigger ones hundreds of them.

Or just run emacs.