Subject: Re: Fun with a 3100/30
To: None <pb0aia@iaehv.nl>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/26/1999 10:05:45
On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 02:28:12PM -0600, Roger Ivie wrote:
> Well, my little 3100/30 with 4MB of memory is now 24 hours into a kernel
> build. It has only invoked cc ten times so far. This is apparently going
> to take a while.

Back then, when BSD was REAL BSD and VAXen where REAL VAXEN, the CSRG at
UCB would start a kernel build --- without any -O! --- at Friday afternoon
and leave for the weekend.

On Mondays they would check whether it succeeded, backup the old kernel,
and try to boot the new one.

if (new_kernel_boots) {
	They_had_4.5_days_for_further-development();
} else {
	They_booted_the_old_kernel();
	They_had_4.5_days_for_bug_hunting();
}

--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of